Party planning is in full force as we gear up to celebrate the end of football season. If you’re hosting the party at your place this year, chances are you’re putting the final touches on your menu while making sure there are options for everyone, which is no simple task.
Serving chicken wings? OBVIOUSLY. Or are they the clear choice for football snacking? If you’re looking to put a fun twist on this too-common appetizer, try something new this year. With a little creativity, you can serve food that your guests will be talking about almost as long as who scored the final touchdown.
Check out these alternatives to chicken wings that are tastier, healthier and will get the crowd talking:
1. Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower. If you’re hosting vegetarians at your Big Game party or you’re looking for an alternative to wings that will not leave you feeling like you’re missing out – cauliflower is here to help. Chunks of cauliflower are battered, fried and smothered in buffalo sauce giving you the same taste and crunch as the traditional chicken wing, but you can eat so much more – guilt-free!
2. Buffalo Ranch Fries. Think poutine with a football twist. If you’ve never had poutine, then prepare to discover the amazing things that can happen to your taste buds when you combine fries with cheese and gravy. In this twist, chunks of gorgonzola (or blue cheese) are combined with ranch dressing and buffalo sauce to make the perfect Big Game appetizer.
3. Buffalo Oven-Baked Goat Cheese Bites. If you want an appetizer that will have your guests raving, this is the one you need! It’s a little taste of goat cheese heaven crusted in breadcrumbs, oven-baked then rolled in Frank’s® RedHot® Sauce. Great served warm or room-temperature which means you don’t need to miss a moment of the game to eat them.
4. Buffalo Chicken Sliders. This recipe has everything you could want for your halftime food break: the crunchy bun, buffalo flavor sauce to give you that spice and a hint of blue cheese. It’ll leave you and all your guests happy even if your team is losing.
5. Buffalo Chicken Mac ‘N Cheese. Comfort food and football go together like peanut butter and jelly — or, in this case, like buffalo sauce and mac n’ cheese! This twist on a favorite classic can help you cut down on the greasy food without compromising good taste.
6. Spicy Chicken Meatballs. Take a traditional meatball recipe, replace the ground pork with ground chicken and add buffalo sauce and you have a hit. These can be made ahead of The Big Game in a slow cooker so you can sit back and root for your favorite team.
What is your favorite chicken wing alternative?
TapGenes Takeaway: If you want to enjoy The Big Game food without the guilt, try a healthier alternative to chicken wings with all the flavor.
More on TapGenes: